Animal Welfare Specialist
We move the world to protect animals. World Animal Protection is transforming the lives of billions of animals by delivering practical and sustainable solutions to end animal suffering. We are seeking a talented and passionate individual to join our North American team and help us achieve our goals.
We have 14 offices around the world, employ more than 400+ dedicated people and partner with governments, international institutions and businesses to achieve our vision – a world where animal welfare matters and animal cruelty has ended. This is an exciting time to join the leading global animal protection organization and inspire and mobilize people, decision-makers and organizations to change how we treat animals.
The Animal Welfare Specialist will provide expert advice on animal welfare science and best practice in particularly in the area of humane and sustainable farming. S/he will support World Animal Protection collaborations with national and multi-national corporations in Canada and the USA to promote and encourage continuous improvement in the development and implementation of their animal protection policies and procedures, including reforms in their supply chains. S/he will work closely with colleagues in North America providing advice and guidance to support our farm animal welfare strategy and other program work and will liaise with technical experts in other World Animal Protection regions to ensure consistency of approach on animal welfare issues.
- Develop and provide guidance and technical support for World Animal Protection's farm campaign and other animal welfare programs
- Monitor, research and compile information on trends in animal welfare science and practice
- Analyze the economic implications of changes in production, sales or distribution practices which could have consequences for animal welfare
- Build rapport with key stakeholders, including producers, retailers, industry groups and external agencies to promote World Animal Protection'sobjectives
- Support companies to develop and implement improved animal welfare policies.
- Communicate with farmers about their implementation of animal welfare practices and work as technical advisor for corporations to reform their supply chain on farm animal practices
- Track progress of outreach efforts on animal welfare reforms and work with World Animal Protection and corporations to adjust as necessary
- Develop briefs, case studies and other written materials Use research findings and case studies to draft content for internal communications, stakeholder and public-facing materials
- Communicate effectively with diverse audiences via a range of media, including reports, journal articles, press and media copy and video.
- Act as a spokesperson for World Animal Protection in the media or at public events,
- Produce project monitoring and evaluation reports as and when required.
- Prepare external consultation responses as required
- Carry out administrative duties and any other tasks as reasonably requested.
- Veterinarian or animal science major with substantial experience of working particularly with farm animals. Evidence of specialist interest or higher qualifications in animal welfare would be an advantage. At least five years’ experience in hands on work with farm animals, ideally involving several species sectors.
- Broad experience of the food industry, such as work in the slaughtering sector, would be an advantage.
- Solid technical knowledge of farm animal production practices and of broad animal welfare issues across World Animal Protection's other program areas
- Up to date in most advanced technical means for improving farm animal welfare
- Self- starter
- Excellent networking contacts
- Good at relationship building
- Must be comfortable with public speaking and representing World Animal Protection at professional and industry meetings
- Strong ability to multi-task
- Good analytical and problem-solving abilities
- Comfortable in working in a fast paced environment
- Must have intermediate Microsoft Office skills
- Ability to travel
- May be able to work remotely
For more than 30 years, World Animal Protection has brought relief and protection to millions of animals across the world. Today, working in more than 50 countries, World Animal Protection continues to collaborate with local communities, NGOs and governments to change animals’ lives for the better. World Animal Protection also acts for animals at a global level, using the organization’s United Nations consultative status to give animals a voice. If you have the qualifications for this particular role, and share World Animal Protection's passion for animal welfare, please let us know of your interest by applying.
World Animal Protection offers a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, retirement, and generous vacation and holiday leave. Salary is commensurate with candidate’s experience.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter including salary requirements and resume to recruiter@WorldAnimalProtection.us.org. The job reference code HR-AWS must be in the subject line. Applications submitted without salary requirements may not be considered. Position will remain open until filled.
World Animal Protection is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applicants from diverse backgrounds.