Sea Change campaign: tackling ghost fishing gear
Our Sea Change campaign reduces the huge suffering caused by ‘ghost gear’ – abandoned fishing gear that turns oceans into death traps for sea animals
The ghost fishing gear crisis
Abandoned, lost and discarded nets, lines and traps are one of the biggest threats to our sea life. A staggering 640,000 tons of gear is left in our oceans each year. That gear traps, injures, mutilates and kills hundreds of thousands of whales, dolphins, sharks, seals, turtles and birds annually. So, through our Sea Change campaign, we’re aiming to save one million animals by 2018.
By bringing together governments, businesses and fishing organizations, we can protect sea life and move towards a future free from the ghost fishing gear threat
Ghost fishing gear: our work
We’re working in three ways to protect animals from ghost fishing gear. We:
- Bring together partners to stop gear being abandoned
- Support new ways to remove ghost gear from the seas
- Help to replicate successful local sea animal rescue efforts on a global scale.
Global Ghost Gear initiative
The Global Ghost Gear Initiative is a big part of our Sea Change campaign. By collaborating with a range of partners, we’re working to understand just how bad the problem of ghost fishing gear is – and to respond with solutions that work for animals and people. The seafood industry spends millions each year untangling nets from propellers, for example, so we’re developing solutions that protect animals and benefit businesses too.
Download the following resources to learn how ghost gear is endangering our sea life:
- Fishing's phantom menace executive summary
- Fishing's phantom menace report
- Sea Change Infographic (pictured below)
Ghost Gear Dodge
How to play Ghost Gear Dodge:
1. Visit ghostgear.worldanimalprotection.org and play on your computer or your mobile phone
2. Click/tap to swim up & release to swim down to avoid getting caught in ghost gear
3. Sign-up at the end of the game to learn more about Sea Change work happening locally and share the game with your family and friends to help build the movement