Animals in farming
The majority of animals farmed for food live in conditions that cause suffering and stress. It’s time to rethink farming.
Factory-grown chickens endure tremendous suffering for their short lives - but together we can change this
Your voice has helped change an entire industry - thank you for helping free hens from cages
Humane animal farming is good for animals, farmers, consumers and our environment
To reduce animal suffering, we work with governments and businesses to encourage humane slaughter
With more and more consumers demanding humane foods, partner with us to make sure farm animal welfare is part of your business
The global farming challenge
The treatment of farm animals is the world’s biggest animal welfare issue – and it’s getting bigger. By 2050, livestock production will be twice what it was in 2000. Right now, more than 70 billion animals are farmed for food each year – two-thirds in conditions that mean they can’t move freely or live naturally. We campaign for progress at every stage – from farming to transportation to slaughter. And we know change is possible – since 2009, our humane slaughter training has made life better for eight billion animals.
Animals in farming: our work
- We move governments and global bodies to improve regulations to protect animals.
- We influence debates that will shape the future of world farming.
- We partner with food businesses to change the way they work and protect animals.
- We work with farmers to demonstrate practical and affordable ways to protect animals.
- We encourage people to choose food produced in line with high welfare standards.