Regional Campaigns Director, North America
Location: New York City
World Animal Protection (formerly World Society for the Protection of Animals –WSPA) is a global non-profit organization whose vision is to create a world where animal welfare matters and animal cruelty has ended. We move the world to protect animals. We inspire people to take action for animals and work responsibly and sustainably, collaborating with NGO’s, governments, businesses and local communities to put animal welfare on the global agenda. We are seeking an experienced Campaigns Director to join our team and play a key leadership role in the delivery of our animal protection program work throughout Canada and the USA.
The Campaigns Director provides leadership and strategic oversight of World Animal Protection’s campaigns and policy initiatives on issues such as Humane Farming, Disaster Management, Wildlife Trade and Oceans. The ideal candidate will have proven campaigning experience -- mobilizing and influencing the public, governments and businesses to create positive social change. Responsibilities include ensuring seamless team and project management across Canada and the USA, strategic planning, budgeting, measurement and evaluation of campaigns.
Additionally he/she will represent World Animal Protection at conferences and other forums, building relationships with key stakeholders and meeting with public officials and corporate leaders. He/She will also interface with colleagues in our offices around the globe.
Reporting to the Regional Director, North America, the Campaigns Director will serve as an integral member of the North American regional senior management team, working closely with the Executive Directors of the Canadian and USA offices.
Main duties and responsibilities
- Lead the development and delivery of effective, high impact, targeted North American campaigns, advocacy and policy initiatives to advance World Animal Protection’s global goals
- Lead/participate in negotiations and presentations to high level contacts in government, international institutions, NGOs, businesses and the media
- Represent World Animal Protection and promote animal welfare by speaking at conferences and forums
- Build relationships with academia, businesses, NGO’s and other organizations and individuals
- Supervise campaigns and policy staff throughout Canada and the USA, providing inspiration, direction, input and feedback
- Provide overall project management and coordination for the North American region, including budgeting and operating plans
- Ensure that campaigning activities operate within the policies and procedures of the organization and comply with all relevant legislation and professional standards
- Ensure campaigning activities are integrated with communications and fundraising and that overlapping stakeholders are approached and managed properly
- Monitor program activities on a regular basis and conduct an annual evaluation to assess the strengths of the programs and identify areas for improvement
- Ensure that campaigns operate within the approved budget
- Identify and evaluate the risks associated with program activities and take appropriate action to control them
- Write management reports on program activities and achievements
Qualifications and skills
- Bachelor’s Degree required: Master’s degree in Public Policy/Advocacy strongly preferred
- Minimum 8 years campaigning, policy and public affairs experience
- Proven experience in leading campaigns that mobilize and educate the public to produce social change
- Experience in developing and implementing a campaign strategy including identifying key processes, influencers and decision-makers
- Experience managing teams of 8 or more staff
- Demonstrated experience in project management, strategic planning and budgeting
- Solid understanding and analysis of political, economic and social processes and trends
- Excellent communication skills – written, oral and presentation
- Demonstrated ability to articulate the mission and vision of an organization
- Proven ability to negotiate, influence and lobby at a senior level
- Experience working in a campaigning international non-profit and/or animal welfare organization
For more than 30 years, World Animal Protection has brought relief and protection to millions of animals across the world. Today, working in more than 50 countries, World Animal Protection continues to collaborate with local communities, NGOs and governments to change animals' lives for the better. World Animal Protection also acts for animals at a global level, using the organization's United Nations consultative status to give animals a voice. If you have the qualifications for this particular role, and share World Animal Protection's passion for animal welfare, please let us know of your interest by applying.
World Animal Protection offers a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, retirement, and generous vacation and holiday leave. Salary is commensurate with candidate's experience.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter including salary requirements and resume to recruiter@WorldAnimalProtection.us.org. The job reference code HR-CampaignsDirector must be in the subject line. Position will remain open until filled.
World Animal Protection is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applicants from diverse backgrounds.
We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.